Every July 4, families together celebrate the independence of our country. We went to the beach and watched fireworks, hosted barbecues in the backyard, and relaxed by the pool the past summers. This year we don’t know what we’re up to yet, but I’m sure it will be fun for the whole family!
Here are some great ways to celebrate July 4th with family and friends this weekend, and a recipe:
1. Organize a barbecue in the backyard – potluck style – with family / friends
2. Go camping in your own backyard – tents are pretty cheap!
3.Patriotic Song Karaoke – Google YouTube videos for patriotic karaoke songs or download some of your favorites.
4.Pack up a picnic cooler and visit a state park or beach
5. Make a festive dessert – like my favorite strawberry and blueberry trifle (read on for my recipe!)
6. Decorate your home with homemade flags and dress in red / white / blue
7. Handle fireworks safely – check your state for fireworks restrictions before setting off your own fireworks.
8.Watch the fireworks online – many national fireworks celebrations will be televised this year!
9.Watch a movie under the stars with an outdoor cinema projector
10. make a patriotic profession with children
11. Make a home water park with water balloons, a sprinkler and slides.
12.Outdoor Play Day – Create an obstacle course in the backyard using chairs, a hula hoop, bean bags thrown in a laundry basket or any other item from the house!
Strawberry and blueberry trifle recipe
2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 lbs of fresh strawberries, sliced
1 lb of fresh blueberries
1 prepared angel food cake (torn into pieces)
Fresh mint (for garnish)
Place a metal mixing bowl in your freezer or refrigerator for at least 15 to 20 minutes before preparing the whipped cream.
Rinse the fruit thoroughly. Slice the strawberries. Combine the fruit in a bowl, reserving 1/4 for garnish.
To make the whipped cream, pour the whipping cream into the cooled bowl and add 1/2 cup of sugar. Using a whisk, beat the cream on medium speed until stiff peaks form. It should take 7-8 minutes. Do not beat too much or the cream will turn into butter.
To assemble the trifle, put a layer of torn pieces of angel food cake on the bottom of a large trifle bowl.
Pour about 1/3 of the strawberry and blueberry mixture over the angel food cake and continue with about 1/3 of the whipped cream. Make sure the whipped cream completely covers the fruit layer.
Repeat two more times and finish with a layer of whipped cream.
Smooth out the filling, garnish with leftover fresh fruit and fresh mint.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.