One person killed in three-family home fire in Springfield

0

One person was fatally injured when a fire broke out inside a three-family home in Springfield early Friday, according to the city’s fire department and records.

Firefighters responded to 63 Wilmont Street, where they were able to extinguish the fire but were unable to save one person, the department reported on its official Twitter account.

Three other residents were displaced by the fire, the department said.

The fire, which started in the second-floor living room, was accidentally caused by improper disposal of smoking materials, the state fire marshal’s office said in a statement.

Springfield Fire Marshal Bernard J. Calvi offered his condolences to the victim’s family in the statement.

“We see too many fires that start with smoking materials,” Calvi said. “There is no safe way to smoke, but if you must smoke, do it responsibly. Use a sturdy ashtray with water or sand and be sure to put it out, thoroughly, every time.

State Fire Marshal Ostroskey also said in the statement that “smoking materials cause more fatal fires than all other known causes combined.

“Please don’t smoke in bed, when drowsy or while impaired, and make sure there are working smoke detectors on every floor,” Ostroskey said.

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information becomes available.


John R. Ellement can be contacted at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.

Share.

Comments are closed.