The family’s plan to build an eco-house in Llandeilo is turned down by planners in Carmarthenshire

0

A family that wants to cultivate 70 crops on their land and make a living from it with minimal environmental impact, has suffered a setback.

Stephen Morris has submitted an application for a 1.2 hectare site north of Llandeilo to Carmarthenshire Council as part of the Welsh Government’s One Planet development policy.

The plan was recommended for approval by council officers, but a majority of the council planning committee voted against it.

Councilors opposing it said they did not believe the plaintiff, his partner and his child should live there, especially since no cattle would be raised there, only ducks and chickens.

They were concerned about how the project, if approved, would be monitored – and they strongly questioned the independence of a project assessment that was commissioned by the board.

Council officials refuted the suggestion of independence, with one claiming that the planning department had asked the authors of the assessment to seek additional information before producing a second final report.

A legal expert said the evaluation concluded that the program would be in line with One Planet Development policies and that if the committee rejects the application, the evaluation document “will be trotted” on appeal if the applicant adopts this course of action.

Cllr Kevin Madge, who voted in favor of the request, said it would be “horrible” if the board had costs awarded against her on appeal and was “appalled” at the denial decision and the reasons for it. justify it.

The Chairman of the Board Committee, Cllr Alun Lenny, said: “I regret to say that I agree with you, Cllr Madge.”

The request indicated how the land would be divided into zones covering horticultural and rewilding areas, a forest garden, beehives and a meadow of willows and wildflowers. A three-bedroom timber-framed property with a turf roof has also been proposed along with outbuildings.

The report submitted to the committee said the site was estimated at 44% of the three-person household’s food needs. An additional 21% would be purchased from income from field activities such as music therapy sessions and boxes of vegetables for sale locally. This combined figure of 65% would meet a political requirement for basic food needs.

There were 43 letters of support to Mr. Morris’ request and nine objections, including from Manordeilo and the Salem Community Council.

Ward County Councilor Joseph Davies, who is also on the planning committee, said he worked on the land in question years ago and at times it was too wet to grow silage .

It was not, he said, “easily achievable”.

He added: “I would doubt that an area of ​​this size would satisfy a family of three. ”

Cllr Davies’ proposal to vote against the project was seconded by Cllr Gareth Thomas who said it would be more environmentally friendly if candidates lived in an existing house nearby rather than building a dwelling there.

“I don’t think what lies ahead is in the spirit of the OPD (One Planet Development Policy),” he said. “For me, it doesn’t add up.”

Cllr Madge said the candidates deserved a chance to pass the proposal.

“These people want to try, we can see the enthusiasm they have,” he said. “I just think we should give them the opportunity.”


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply